This video will show how to make a low carb spaghetti squash recipe for shrimp stir fry. Traditionally of course you would put your stir fry on top of rice or pasta. But it’s easy to add too many carbs to your plate with large helpings of these. Instead try spaghetti squash, which is very similar in texture to glass noodles and can decrease the total calories and net carbs by almost 80% compared to the same amount of pasta or rice! Is spaghetti squash a carb? Yes it still has carbs, but way less – and it still has fiber and way more potassium.
For a free 30-day trial to TubeBuddy click here:
/>If you sign up for a subscription TubeBuddy will give me a discount on my ongoing subscription. Note there’s no extra cost to you if you sign up this way.
timestamps (if on computer, click on link in time list to jump right to that point in the video):
00:00:00 – Start
00:00:57 – knowing about food can help you stick to new healthier habits
00:03:11 – Carbs – good or bad?
00:04:35 – Carb comparison of spaghetti squash vs rice /pasta / noodles
00:06:49 – How to prepare spaghetti squash
00:08:59 – How to prepare shrimp stir fry with broccoli and carrots
00:11:14 – Finished dish
Other youtubers mentioned in the video, great sources of information about health and wellness, and they do a lot of discussion about how and why we need to eliminate the excess carbs we’ve all become addicted to from our diets:
Dr. Sten Eckburg: w
Dr. Nick Zyrowkski: w
How to cook spaghetti squash:
1. Preheat your oven to 400F/200C.
2. Cut the spaghetti squash longways down the middle on one half, then flip it over and finish the cut on the other half.
3. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and strands from the middle of each half. Pro tip: if you have a grapefruit spoon (a spoon with serrated teeth on the edge), it can make scraping a little easier.
4. Put about a teaspoon of olive oil inside each cut half (cut side up) and rub over the inside surface with your hand (not the outside shell).
5. Season the inside of each half with a little bit of salt and ground black pepper.
6. Flip the halves cut side DOWN on a baking sheet lined with foil and put in the oven.
7. Bake for 40-60 minutes. Spaghetti squash is done when you can pierce the skin easily with a fork.
8. Let cool until you can easily handle without burning yourself!!
9. Use a fork to shred the cooked squash into “noodles” and place in a container for later use
Simple broccoli and shrimp stir fry:
1. You can use almost any firm non-starchy vegetables you have on hand, but I find that broccoli and carrots are favorites of my kids. Other good options include peppers and peas in the pod. Rinse and cut the vegetables into bite size pieces.
2. Preheat a wok over medium high heat. You want it to be hot enough to cook the ingredients fairly quickly but not so hot it makes your oil smoke.
3. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl around to coat the bottom and part of the sides. I prefer coconut oil because it has a relatively high smoke point but is a healthier, far less processed and is not a man-made oil like vegetable or canola oil. Don’t use olive oil – the high heat of the pan will make it smoke and this is not what you’re going for!
4. First add the vegetables. Stir to coat with the oil then stir constantly and cook until tender-crisp, about 3-5 minutes. If it’s taking longer to cook, you’ve likely overcrowded the pan and may need to do it in bathces. When cooked, remove from the pan and place in a bowl.
5. Next add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, swirl and coat the bottom and sides again. Then add the shrimp and stir constantly until cooked, usually 3-5 minutes. If you’re using raw shrimp they should turn white.
6. Add the vegetables back to the pan
7. Add the sauces. To keep it low in carbs (from too many sugars) I like to add only 1-2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce, plus a tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce), ½ tablespoon fish sauce and ½ tablespoon sesame oil. Mix thoroughly until everything is well coated.
And there you have it: spaghetti squash and shrimp as the stars in a dish that lets you have a shrimp stir fry with noodles with 80% less carbs!
#spahettisquash, #stirfry, #lowcarb, #lowcarbmeals