I explain the worst low-carb foods for keto.
0:00 If you’re on keto these are the worst low carb foods
2:25 Most types of meat are processed but some are worse than others
2:15 The benefit of low carb is that it lowers your insulin, which is huge
I explain the worst low-carb foods to consume if you’re on keto, even though they’re supposedly keto-friendly. Just because something is low carb doesn’t mean it’s healthy.
● Soy protein isolate; low fat, high protein, damaging to your liver, and almost certainly GMO so you’re exposed to glyphosate. It can cause gallbladder problems too. Unfortunately, it’s in many foods considered keto-friendly.
● Casein, which is milk protein. You’re rarely going to find a grass-fed version, but instead, it is usually from grain fed cows which also exposes you to GMOs. As well, it will spike your insulin.
● Maltitol; sugar alcohol that seems to cause the most digestive disturbance. It’s in a lot of sugar-free products for diabetics, and it’s fairly high on the glycemic index.
● Aspartame; an artificial sweetener that interferes with your gut flora and may increase insulin resistance.
● Processed cheese that is common in restaurants and abound on the grocery store aisle. It’s not from grass-fed cows; you need to go to a health food store to get high-quality cheese.
● Common processed meats like bacon, hot dogs, and the like. While most meats are processed, some are worse than others. Choose organic grass-fed meats without hormones.
● Rancid nuts. If you’ve had nuts sitting in your cabinet for a long time, they can go rancid which means their omega 6 fatty acids have oxidized.
● Margarine. Yes, it’s low carb, but studies on children with epilepsy show it’s not healthy. The benefit of low carb is that it lowers your insulin, which is huge.
● Iceberg lettuce is pretty much empty food without much nutrition. Half a cup of kale is equivalent to ten cups of iceberg lettuce!
● Fast food burgers without a bun, known as dirty keto. Sure it’s low carb, but the animals were fed a lot of GMO grains.
● Pork rinds, unless they’re the version without MSG which can spike insulin.
● Vegetable oils, which are actually seed oils such as corn, cottonseed, canola, and soy.
● Corn fiber, which causes a lot of bloating.
● Farm raised fish, which are fed GMO grains
● Low fat dairy, which is usually GMO.
On the insulin index, the lower the fat in the protein, the higher the insulin will spike. So be sure to consume whole eggs and full-fat dairy, for example, and avoid the foods I listed above when on keto.
Dr. Eric Berg DC Bio:
Dr. Berg, age 55, is a chiropractor who specializes in Healthy Ketosis & Intermittent Fasting. He is the author of the best-selling book The Healthy Keto Plan, and is the Director of Dr. Berg Nutritionals. He no longer practices, but focuses on health education through social media.
Follow us on FACEBOOK: fb.me/DrEricBerg
Send a Message to his team: m.me/DrEricBerg
ABOUT DR. BERG: 8
Disclaimer: Dr. Eric Berg received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1988. His use of “doctor” or “Dr.” in relation to himself solely refers to that degree. Dr. Berg is a licensed chiropractor in Virginia, California, and Louisiana, but he no longer practices chiropractic in any state and does not see patients so he can focus on educating people as a full-time activity, yet he maintains an active license. This video is for general informational purposes only. It should not be used to self-diagnose and it is not a substitute for a medical exam, cure, treatment, diagnosis, and prescription or recommendation. It does not create a doctor-patient relationship between Dr. Berg and you. You should not make any change in your health regimen or diet before first consulting a physician and obtaining a medical exam, diagnosis, and recommendation. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. The Health & Wellness, Dr. Berg Nutritionals, and Dr. Eric Berg, D.C. are not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this video or site.
Thanks for watching!
There are low-carb foods you should avoid on keto.